"Every planet has its own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese - goslings! They were juggled."

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Baking for the first time in a year and a half

Part of why I love my new host family is they encourage me to create stuff.  And I´m very lucky because they have an oven.  So I´ve been experimenting with some of the recipes in Buen Provecho (our Peace Corps pdf recipe book) and have been less than thrilled with some of the results.  But I have other sources so lately we´ve had plenty of fresh bread and cookies.  One major problems with baking here are a lack of measuring cups and spoons, and no oven thermometer.  It makes things...tricky. 

Honey wheat bread dough made with miel de panela instead of honey.

Honey wheat bread dough rising :)

Baked honey wheat

Pretzels - good out of the oven, stale a day later

Second attempt at chocolate chip cookies.  Sadface.

Third attempt at chocolate chip cookies - it looks good!!

Finally on the way to cookie success!

If they would just be done now, they´d be PERFECT.

But alas, they flattened.  But they´re still chewy and delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment