"Every planet has its own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese - goslings! They were juggled."

Sunday, December 19, 2010

First vlog! Day in the life of a seasonal baker

Not much news to report, just trying to get through my seasonal job as a baker at Christkindlemarket, Chicago. Only three more work days left for me. But what's going to happen after it's over? Mom is going to live with my grandmother who needs 24-hour care after her fall and subsequent hip replacement surgery. The family asked me originally, but as much as I hate to say no to my grandmother - it's just not possible. After work, I have a month left in the United States. A month left to squeeze in as much Spanish as possible, do last-minute errands, pack up life... it would just be completely unrealistic.

So that leaves me at home with my dad. No, I don't hate him. I just have a really difficult time understanding him and dealing with his temperament. It's worse than ever now. He has an incredibly pessimistic attitude about life, and actively hates it with almost everything he does. I've never met someone so unhappy, and so unwilling to change that... so after spending so many years out of home trying to find what makes me happy, I feel like that is undone being here. After just a few months of consideration, I'm certain I can't return after Ecuador. I'll go somewhere else, don't know where.

Whew, deep. I'll just get to the video now. This is my first video in a vlogging series meant to capture my Peace Corps experience, starting now with the seasonal job I took to pay bills while I'm gone. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome video Christina! I can't believe Ecuador is only a month away! There is so much to do and not enough time to get everything done. How's the spanish coming? I slacked over the holidays and now I'm stressing about it!...One day at a time I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay!! Thank you, I hope to make many more about our experiences! :) I feel the same, pretty stressed! I totally slacked on studying too - at least I dedicated some time while I worked to study on the commute to Chicago and back! I really need to buckle down now. We'll be fine though, I know it! :)

    ReplyDelete