"Every planet has its own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese - goslings! They were juggled."

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Wrap up life and things will break.

Wrapping up one's life at 'home' for at least two years is actually more daunting than I thought it would be. I knew I'd have mountains of bills to take care of (car registration and insurance - yes, I'm keeping it, my website, Sallie Mae loan, personal loan for dental work, etc. etc. etc.), so I'm trying to take this one thing at a time. I tried calling my undergrad college for information on Perkins Loan deferral, but my phone was pretty much dead. See, it no longer takes a charge because of some severely bent metal pegs. It's been sketchy the past three months, but finally it's given up. So borrowed my mom's phone, endured a little confusion on the other end about how she'd never dealt with anyone going into PC, and am waiting on paperwork.

So today was actually car registration day instead of loan day. By the time I got work done at home, it was mid-afternoon and starting to snow. The DMV is located in Woodstock, a ways through the suburban countryside northwest of where I live. Packed up all my stuff for errands and pulled out of the driveway at the same time I heard a quick thud-thud-crash. What now?! I looked in my right rearview mirror... or tried to, it was gone. I pulled around back to my driveway, but not before another car *ran over my mirror*. Seriously. Shattered into a million billion pieces. I cleaned up the big shards and went back inside to research where and how to get it replaced. Fun fun.

The snow was really picking up when I really left, but it was a nice & peaceful drive on Route 14. The DMV was easy to find, and there were no waits inside to get my registration. I explained my situation briefly to the clerk, who seemed also to not have ever encountered my dilemma. But then she offered me an extended registration through February 2011 for $16 (instead of 1 January 2010-31 December 2011 for $99). The catch is I'll never get to do that again, and I'll need to get new plates when I get back... probably not a problem because I'm hoping to move right on back to Alaska.

Not nearly as much work done as I'd hoped to finish, but that's how it goes. Too much to do but I really can't wait to get out of here. Definitely overstayed my personal limit at my parents' place. Things are changing!

7 comments:

  1. if it's any help, i actually used to work for sallie mae (from april '09 to oct '10). any sort of federal loan can be deferred completely with the economic hardship deferment. you can use that for up to three years (lasts 12 months, up to 36 months). there is actually an option on the form that is specific for peace corps volunteers lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joey! It is unfortunately a private loan that I guess can't be deferred for PC, so I'm trying to pay off what I can and investigate the payoff program PC apparently offers while in service. Thanks for the advice though! I'll probably eventually have to use that 3 year deferment option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you going to do with your car while you're gone? I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine, I really don't want to get rid of it but I know parking and leaving it for 2+ years isn't the best for it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love my car... it's perfect for me, so I'm going to keep it. So far the plan is leaving it in my parents' driveway, but I don't think that will be very sustainable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mine too, and I know what you mean by "it's perfect" because I feel the s.a.m.e. way about mine! my brother is ADAMENT that I sell it, he's convinced I'm going to want to upgrade anyway when I get back (which I honestly laugh at because if anything I'm sure I'll think it's TOO nice compared with what I'll be used to!) I'm glad to know someone else is thinking along my same lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right there with you :) Know what you'll do with it? I might have the option to store it, but I'd have to drain everything and I'd prefer not to - keeping it with my parents somehow would be the best option so they could turn it on and move it a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a private loan lender which have all take to be a genuine lender i give out the best loan to my client at a very convenient rate.The interest rate of this loan is 3%.i give out loan to public and private individuals.the maximum amount i give out in this loan is $1,000,000.00 USD why the minimum amount i give out is 5000.for more information contact us Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    Your Full Details:
    Full Name :………
    Country :………….
    state:………….
    Sex :………….
    Address............
    Tel :………….
    Occupation :……..
    Amount Required :…………
    Purpose of the Loan :……..
    Loan Duration :…………
    Phone Number :………
    Contact Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete