"Every planet has its own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese - goslings! They were juggled."

Monday, May 17, 2010

Not a day for tea, apparently

Moose aren't all that uncommon, suddenly. Two moose reside in C-Camp with the humans, Belligerent Momma and her calf. The calf, for visualization, is taller than a small pony. Belligerent Momma got her name before my time because she apparently charges...a lot. The other day, I walked within 20 feet of her without realizing she was there. In a good mood, maybe. Later in the afternoon, I walked back to the washhouse and there she was again. Only this time, she craned her neck, lower her head, and just stared at me. And I thought I was a safe distance away...

As I was typing up another chapter of the geology field guide, an MSLCer wished me a happy Monday and gave me a beautiful card and... a rock-print mousepad! It is really touching. I see her as one of the most accommodating, positive and encouraging people I've ever met.

Another MSLCer and I walked down to Horseshoe Lake on an errand. Beautiful place - a classic oxbox lake surrounded by gnawed-in-half logs. No other sign of beavers, though. The trail was lined with pasque flowers (ground-hugging light purple flowers that generally herald the onset of spring). And a random fact...apparently pasque flowers are extremely toxic causing bradycardia (slowing heart). I should have munched on glacier and avalanche lilies in Washington when I had the chance. No way I'm eating anything but blueberries here.

I decided I probably shouldn't "adopt" a sled dog for the summer because I'm hopefully going to be getting in a good deal of field work that may last days at a time. I still need to get out and see a sled dog demonstration though...for another post, maybe...

I'm still mentally toiling over what to do with my thesis. Independent Study seems like the way to go. It just feels like giving up, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment