"Every planet has its own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese - goslings! They were juggled."

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Too much sun

I decided to pick up The Host instead of either option. I'm really liking it so far, which I don't find too surprising.

This morning, I *think* I encountered the state bird of Alaska, the willow grouse. I'm not actually sure what it was. I called it a ptarmigan, and if it was really a grouse, I'm still technically right. All I know is that it was a big, raven-sized hen-like bird with brown and white feathers.

[briefly asked by a interpreter asking me what kind of rock he found. It was probably slate, and I haven't seen it naturally in the park yet]

I spent the day researching and organizing future EarthCaches. It's really amusing getting paid to do what I really enjoy doing. In the coming weeks, bus service will eventually carry all the way to Eielson and Kantishna both located on the farthest western reaches of the park road, 89ish miles in. It doesn't go near the very western edge of the park. While my supervisor is away the last week of May, she suggested I do the frontcountry hikes and visit these far-away places to really get started.

The abundance of daylight is getting to me a little. By the time I try and get to bed around 10:30, I toss and turn for a good hour even if I cover my head. The sun sets way earlier, but dusk and twilight last forever. At least until midnight, if not later, you can walk outside and see just fine. Based on the sun's position when I wake up in the morning around 6:30ish, I'd guess the sun rises around 4:30 or 5. Yep, I was close! According to wunderground.com, civil twilight is 3:16 a.m. and 12:20 a.m. Actual sunrise and sunset is 4:47 a.m. and 10:55 p.m. And tomorrow will be over 6 minutes longer.

It all feels so strange to me, almost artificial. It's great having so much light, but it's so hard to go to bed when it's still perfectly bright outside. And we're not even to the point of having 24 hours' light yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment