"Every planet has its own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principal form of recreation was juggling geese. My hand to God. Baby geese - goslings! They were juggled."

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Interviewed, part 2. Warning: random post

COUNTDOWN: 25 days

Getting prepared: Spanish


It's one of those days when you feel like you slept for 12 hours. Because I actually did (excuse: persistent headache). I fell asleep last night half sitting up on the couch with a tedious Spanish language DVD still running on the TV (imagine a guy in a red sweater over a white collared shirt, huge curly hair, huge and unnecessary gestures - "Quisiera el menú del día" *hugesmilenodnodhandwaving*). It didn't seem very helpful, and it was geared towards Spain Spanish anyway. I think I'll stick with studying books, watching DVDs in Spanish, and listening to Ecuadorean news.

I returned it and rented 'The Motorcycle Diaries,' one of my favorite Spanish movies, ever. It's about Che Guevara, before he went militant and actually became 'Che'. He was inspired to help the voiceless, excited to change the world (or just America) for the better... all before he became the ruthless, bitter revolutionary the world is more familiar with. The movie shows Che and he friend Alberto in a child-like light as they explore South America by motorbike - until it breaks (for good) and they continue on foot and boat. If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching it AND reading the journal.


¡Una sorpresa! Random interlude:

I wanted to point out that every night when the house windows fog up, this little guy, the Rage Hippo appears:


Thought my fellow EE invitee would appreciate that.



Northwest Herald returns

A photographer from the Herald came by today to take some pictures of me shuffling through my pile of stuff. Her comment was something like, "That's not a lot of stuff!" Well...clothes aren't included yet. I'm guessing clothes are going to take up the better part of one large bag. And it's hard packing clothes, because I wear them and wash them all the time. I suppose I could attempt putting them in a general area just to get a better idea of what's to come... hm.


Doing work

LJ and I are doing 'work' at the Firefly Cafe in Algonquin. It's a brand new coffee shop rehabilitated from a previous version filled with comfy seating, delicious drinks and food, and really excellent internet. It's pretty much like our second home. We saw it driving by one day and had to try it. Especially because of the 'Firefly' part (the owner's never seen the series!!! Someday, she must). In honor of this, LJ is wearing a Jayne hat. Where's my browncoat??

Hello! Coddling my free gingerbread soy latte because I filled up a loyalty card. I will miss this place.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! A Rage Hippo sighting! Very rare to see on in the wild these days.

    I have more clothes than I need, so thankfully I can set aside the ones I want to pack on not worry about forgetting them the day of. I keep fussing about it though. Getting all OCD about packing is something that I just cannot help.

    I broke down and got an Osprey pack by the way, the Talon 33. I went to Backwoods and they were nice enough to give me a discount.

    Also, what is all this hullabaloo about us only getting one of or two checked bags through all three months of training? Do you know? Or am I just retarded or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a 'waaaa??' moment, and read over that bridge to PST document... I may have missed something, but all I got out of it is that for the first 3-4 days, we'll have just a small backpack, and the rest of our baggage will be with us in Tumbaco during training? Geez I hope so, three months with just one bag is pushing it a bit.

    Never heard of Backwoods, may investigate that tomorrow... I still need to get a large bag :/ I'm pretty OCD about packing, so this 'gathering stuff months in advance' thing is new and exciting for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, that's what I thought too. And I've read and reread the documents. I think someone else in our group may have accidentally misread them. For now I'm gonna go with, small day pack the first few days, everything else once we get put with host families.

    Backwoods is small. Not sure if they're a chain or local. Most small stores like that probably will give you a discount though, if you tell them you're Peace Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the ambassadors residence is totally sweet....as long as it hasnt moved since ive been in quito...is on the side of a mountain with a great view of cayambe, next to hotel quito....

    kinda random....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet... feels like a long time from now :)

    ReplyDelete